Courtois: Last season was 9.5 out of 10, but I can do better

Courtois: Last season was 9.5 out of 10, but I can do better
The Atletico Madrid goalkeeper is delighted to be included in the Goal 50 list after a brilliant 2012-13 campaign, but says he hopes to improve for the Spanish side next season
EXCLUSIVE
By Adrian Boullosa & Ben Hayward

Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has given his side "nine-and-a-half out of 10" for their brilliant season last term, but believes he can perform even better with the Spaniards next year.

Courtois has spent the last two campaigns at Atletico on loan from Chelsea and extended the agreement to a third season earlier this summer, having starred for Diego Simeone's outfit in their qualification for the Champions League, their Uefa Super Cup success against Chelsea and the Copa del Rey win against city rivals Real MadridThe Belgium international produced a number of sensational saves in the Bernabeu victory in May as Atletico upset their local adversaries with a 2-1 extra-time success, and believes that the capital club can build on the momentum they generated during a memorable 12 months.

He told Goal: "We hope to equal and even improve on last season, which was a very good one for our team. I wouldn't say it was a 10, because you can always do better, but I would give it nine-and-a-half out of 10.

"I will try to play like I did last year and also improve because I am young and I can do better."

At the age of just 21, Courtois further enhanced his reputation by collecting the prestigious Zamora award for conceding fewer goals than any of his contemporaries in La Liga, and he is delighted that his inspired displays have led to his inclusion at No.28 in the Goal 50.

He added: "It is an honour and a satisfaction for me to see my name in relation to the best players in the Goal 50 list.

"I would like to give my thanks to the Goal team, to their readers and followers for this recognition, which I would not have achieved without the help of all of my team-mates and the coaching staff at Atletico Madrid.".